Friday, January 14, 2011

I'll have what they're having...

I often wonder what will define my generation. We are past the Generation X'ers. Many of them have homes, young kids, the American dream, whatever that means or meant.

However I believe that the American dream is a bit more complex for my peer group. As soon as we headed out of college to brave the adult world we were hit with the worst recession since the Hoover administration. Transitioning out of college is a challenge to begin with and now this. Not only are jobs hard to come by, but to even gain admission into graduate schools have gotten exponentially competitive, not to mention that the government continues to cut the budget for education, making the possibility of continuing education less and less accessible to so many (including myself). My generation has seen the dreams of home ownership and job success, two cornerstones of the so-called American dream basically combust. So where do we look? What possibilities are there? I remember back in history class hearing something about how depressions often brought with it great movements in creativity. Not sure if this is true, but it sort of makes sense to me.

So when the security of an immediate entry level job is taken away from us, then what? What if we just can't get into the law schools, the med schools, the clown schools? I love the idea of security and all...but there is that romanticism, the danger the rush of just going for it. Your dreams, your passions, regardless of the uncertainties.

So this is what inspires me, those who stick their necks out there to express themselves and do it boldly. Open to the possibility of not making it, but taking that leap anyways. It inspires me to keep faith in myself, and my own dreams. When I feel down, I look at the blogs, the paintings, the businesses, the writings of my friends and I just feel so INSPIRED by this outpouring of creativity and expression. Maybe you can be inspired too....

Shareen Sarwar - Vintage Mavens


I remember getting a Facebook Message from one of my best friends since childhood about how she was beginning a new endeavor, to sell vintage clothes and if I could support her. In the message, you could sense her excitement and yes, anxiety over her new project. She had the dream, she had a plan and she was going for it. This is a girl, who like me, comes from a Bangladeshi background, a background that loves doctors, lawyers, engineers and usually little else. I remember Shareen always having the most killer fashion sense even back in middle school, when most of us were going through our uber dorky phases. She went to college for International Relations, but you just can't keep a great fashionista away from her true love. As soon as she graduated, she worked tirelessly to intern for high end fashion magazines, running around NYC looking fabulous doing interviews and shopping her portfolio. Then off to Miami she went, chasing her dreams (and getting married in the process to a renaissance man who takes the amazing fashion photos on her blog/store). And now, less than a year after she sent me her excited, uncertain message, her blog and store are both a success. It's amazing to see the coverage she gets for her site and the quality of her store. The passion is obvious, there mucho hard work involved, but it is a labor of love, that much is clear to me (or anyone else who checks out the site). I'm a proud customer, but also an inspired friend. I might not open a vintage store, but I know that I at least have an great example set in front of me to pursue my own passion!
www.vintagemavens.com

Jaynelle St. Jean - pieTISSERIE


I have another friend, Jaynelle who worked in a law firm for a couple years after graduating from college. Years after this, she took on the reins of starting her own pie making business. I remember when I first heard about her, about this girl that made amazing handmade pies on her own and sold them around the Bay Area. I had the unique opportunity to help her out one day, and let me tell you, I was beat. Making pie after pie after pie (after pie) with fresh ingredients is exhausting. Yet I could see her love for what she does just resonate. Starting a business is not an easy thing to do, by any means, but after helping her fill the orders of countless Christmas pie orders, I must say that I was so very inspired by a local piemaker who is following her dreams!
http://www.facebook.com/pietisserie


Jenny Ton and Julia Rhee - Retrofit Republic


Another team I have to mention is the driving force behind Retrofit Republic, Jenny and Julia. Retrofit Republic sells specially hand selected vintage clothing along with an awesome and well written fashion blog. I stumbled upon the blog through another friend. After reading an article I really liked, I looked up the author bios, and was amazed to discover that the two minds behind it were exactly my age. Imagine my surprise when I ran into both of them while out in Oakland, turns out we had the same mutual friends! Needless to say, I was already a huge fan and pretty stoked to meet these "fashion celebrities" and just really admired the passion and love they showed towards their work.
www.retrofitrepublic.com

I am inspired by many different people in my life. I think that I am very lucky when it comes to this. There are so many other people I can write about and how they have inspired different parts of my life. I chose to describe the people above mainly because 1.) they are all around my age 2.) they had the cohones to go after what they wanted 3.) they are stunning, diverse women that totally kick ass, and 4.) look how damn HAPPY they look!!!

As for me, I feel like a forest after a forest fire, burned out but fertile for new growth (and no I'm not referring to my biological clock). What is my passion? I know that I want to help people, make the world a better place and be a social justice warrior. Oh yea and get paid for it...you know how it is ;-)

2 comments:

Leave some thoughts